John Francis's Story
John Francis Collins, Sr., Town of Lockport resident, passed away April 11, 2017 in Briody Health Care Facility. He was born on May 30, 1929 in Stamford, NY, son of Alonzo F. Collins and Hattie Amelia Bevins. John attended Youngstown High School in Youngstown, NY, Niagara University, University of Buffalo and Niagara County Community College where he also served on the faculty teaching various classes in business.
He was married Feb. 16, 1957 in Buffalo at St. Margaret's RC Church to the former Judith E. Murphy. Besides his wife, Judith he is also survived by two sons, John F. Jr. (Margo Ottaviano), William J. Collins, Sr. (Lindsay Pawlick Gray), all of Lockport and a daughter, Nancy Amelia Collins (Neco Lambey) who lives in Manila, Philippines. John is also survived by 10 grandchildren, Sarah, Amanda, Katie, Satuye, Alyssa, Marinna, William Jr., Elizabeth, Alexis and Brooklynkiera; and five great-grandchildren, Bella, Jackson, Alayna, Colin and Alexis. He was predeceased by two brothers, Raymond (Pat) and Sheridan (Grace); and two sisters, Blanche (Arlington Fonner) and Urshline (Edward Paquette).
Owner of John F. Collins Real Estate & Accounting & Real Estate Development, he also worked in Collins Accounting once the business was passed to his son, William. He was the chairman of the Lockport Highway Association and leader of the "Four Lanes To Lockport" campaign which succeeded in securing funds for a continuous four lane highway between Lockport and Buffalo resulting in the widening of Millersport Highway to a four lane road and establishment of the southwest bypass from Robinson Road to Saunders Settlement Road in the town of Lockport. For this John was elected by the Lockport Eastern Niagara Chamber of Commerce as "Citizen of the Year" for 1984.
Other notable contributions include serving as elected Assessor for the Town of Lockport for 6 years, secretary of the Niagara County Ad-Hoc Committee overseeing the successful countywide revaluation program, Niagara County Legislator, past president of the Niagara County Assessors Association, past Master of Masonic Lodge Lockport #73 as well as being active in several other masonic organizations, he served as trustee for many years.
John was also active as director for several years in the Lockport Board of Realtors where he also served as president for 4 years. He was a founding member of the Lockport Multiple Listing Service where he served as secretary. John was a member of the Safari Club International, Rapids Rod & Gun Club and life-member of the National Rifle Association. He hunted both big and small game all over the US, in Canada, Alaska, and Africa, securing several record trophies, he saw combat in the Army during WWII where he earned Three Bronze Stars, he was a Sergeant.
Relatives and friends may call Friday, April 14th from 2-4 PM and 6-8 PM in Prudden & Kandt Funeral Home, 242 Genesee St., Lockport where services will be held Saturday, April 15th at 10 AM.
Published on  April 12, 2017